• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Which telly will suit my room
« on: 01 February 2015, 04:01:47 PM »

Evening all

I have a question that know will have been asked before and will probably be buried deep in the tinterwebspace but my head is hurting trying to find a straight answer.

Living room - it is a long rectangular space with the TV,  at the moment a pioneer pdp 436xde, mounted on the wall with the centre at about 5 foot is. I have an L shaped sofa with two distinct sitting areas.
For gaming I sit at about 45 to the right of the centre the screen to game on a 360, which has just been replaced by a ps4,  and about 260 cm from the screen.
The second place I sit is face to the centre of the screen at about 470cm (my wife just sent me those figures so they may be slightly out) to watch telly, blu rays, sky hd etc.
The question is, what screen should I be using. The plasma is awesome.  I know that it is old (Btw anyone know where I can get a table stand for it?) But it is a great picture to my eye. I am looking at a Samsung 55 inch 8500 uh but am not a curve fan but will get it if it is a good panel. Any ideas?  4k (people say not worth it under 55 inch?) 10 80?  I don't think herself will go above 55 and even that will be a push, I think she will want 48-50 max.
Sorry it's a long boring question but could really do with some advice. Will supply any other answers that are required to give sound advice.
Many many thanks in advance
Graeme.

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
Re: Which telly will suit my room
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
Hi Graeme

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately plasma is still the best technology for wide viewing angles. So unless you can get your hands on a second-hand 2013 model Panasonic or Samsung plasma, I'm afraid most LED TVs on the market is going to be a relative downgrade.

One exception is LED LCDs using IPS panel like the Panasonic AX902 (my review here), but it's not cheap.

Another option is an LG 1080p OLED which can give a green tint off-angle. My review here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ec930v-201412163962.htm

Warmest regards
Vincent

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
... unless you can get your hands on a second-hand 2013 model Panasonic or Samsung plasma...
Or a cheap enough second hand last gen KURO (Europe: LX5090/LX6090/KRP500/KRP600)! ;D I went from a (store bought) 50" Panasonic G30 to a second hand Pioneer LX5090, and even though it has a slight red tint to black and a lot more dithering overall, it still has the best PQ I've ever seen except for on the 2013 range from Panasonic... My dad now has an ST60 and I now have a VT60, thanks to that KURO + the fact that Panasonic decided to exit the PDP business. My brother has the now 6 years old LX5090 and it's still going strong and more or less on par with the latest Pannies, even with heavy usage, especially from FIFA games :P

Seen 4k on several 55"-ers, two in homes of my friends... IMHO, not worth the extra money (or input lag), unless maybe if you sit closer than 1.8 m? :P Also, they were LCD (2014's Sony X9005B and I think X8505), so they were straight up inferior to most plasmas in all departments except brightness, anyway so...

I'd look for some second hand plasmas, if I were you, and not necessarily just the ones mentioned - there is maaaaany a "lesser" PDP out there that still kicks any LCD's ass :P Or I'd get an OLED, although I'd make sure to read up on the pro's and con's of the current crop first :)

If it has to be a new LCD, save your money and don't buy 4k on a 55", especially not at that distance! IMHO :)

Welcome to the forum, btw :)
« Last Edit: 02 February 2015, 11:12:42 AM by SETEM »
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2015, 03:03:35 PM »
Hi Graeme

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately plasma is still the best technology for wide viewing angles. So unless you can get your hands on a second-hand 2013 model Panasonic or Samsung plasma, I'm afraid most LED TVs on the market is going to be a relative downgrade.

One exception is LED LCDs using IPS panel like the Panasonic AX902 (my review here), but it's not cheap.

Another option is an LG 1080p OLED which can give a green tint off-angle. My review here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ec930v-201412163962.htm

Warmest regards
Vincent

Most new IPS have very wide angles not only the expensive ones like Panasonic.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2015, 06:14:13 PM »
^ Wide viewing angles, by LCD standards. The off-axis quality is still poor, especially in dark scenes.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Dalhara

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2015, 07:15:16 PM »
Many many thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer me. Believe me I would love another plasma but I guess they are as rare as rocking horse poo now for a decent one.

Would a better question be what would be the best telly I could get for 2000 pounds be. I think that is all the wife will prolly allow me. Taking into account my considerations. I can reposition my gaming to face on so I can negate the acute angle. 55 inch would be the maximum (man I'm gonna have to do a lot of talking lol) but the sitting position is going to be always at about the 4.5 meters.

cheers all

Graeme.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2015, 07:41:26 PM »
Just wondering if your room is brightly lit or not. Have you considered getting a projector?
The LCD TV will do the trick if you sit not far from center. I'd say 55 inch would be very, very small for 4,5 meters assuming Full HD, but that's just me. ;)
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
Yes, even 55" seems a little small for a viewing distance of 4,5 m. I sit 1,8 m away from mine... High quality sources look excellent, but low quality can be a little rough on the eyes at this distance :P

If you take gaming seriously, you should definitely check out Sony as they have the lowest input lag as of recently. They are also capable of great picture quality after calibration, and perhaps more importantly the ones reviewed here have generally had very good picture quality ootb (out-of-the-box) and required very few adjustments during calibration. After a few basic adjustments you'll likely already be well on your way to an accurate picture, even without actual calibration. Like I mentioned, I've seen both the (2014) Sony X9005B and (I think) X8505 at my friends' places. The X8505 has (very, when used to plasma) bad black level and therefore the picture very easily looked washed out. IPS panel, I think, so good viewing angles IIRC. However, apart from that, both TV's looked very, very good for LCD tech. Overall "colour palette" was very neutral and without any obvious tint. With the X9005B having good black level, too, I must say that that one has probably the best PQ I've seen on an LCD so far.

Those are 4k TV's, so you can save a big wad of money if you go for 1080p instead. You'll also get 1:1 pixel mapping for 1080p content and probably lower input-lag. Have a look at this database http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag :)

Note, if you are going to have a quick look at some reviews: 0,04 cd/m2 is about as low as LCD goes without assistance from dimming systems - these systems are often more trouble than anything else, unless set to a mild setting, so a good unassisted black level is always a good thing ;) I mention this because, in effect, mll (minimum luminance level - black level) is the most determining factor for picture quality.
Lower mll = more depth to images and, in effect, also more contrast = more realism, but also more "wow" factor. You also get more saturated colours.
Higher mll = more washed out images = less depth, less realism, less saturation, and less wow.

PS: Wow, I know I sound like an mll-whore, but hey, have some nostalgia guys :P
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline Dalhara

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
Therein lies my problem. I can't get away from the distance. I will check it again but sure the wife said 470cm from TV to seating. The TV will have to be 55 inch max. It is a decent dark room in evening and night, I. E. No street lighting etc that is too distracting. Projector is a no go in any way shape or form so will have to be the best panel for the 2k.

Any ideas with that final thought in mind?

Graeme.

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2015, 10:57:30 PM »
^ Wide viewing angles, by LCD standards. The off-axis quality is still poor, especially in dark scenes.

You placed the TV below or above your eyes.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2015, 11:39:29 PM »
Actually no, I'm talking about horizontal off-axis viewing.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
Actually no, I'm talking about horizontal off-axis viewing.

You are staying to close to the TV or the TV is too big if you can see panel issues on an IPS horizontally.

You have to deal with this on LCD crap technology. Better than OLED 4000 hours lifespan anyway.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2015, 07:40:44 PM by Xerox »