Author Topic:

TX50AX802B Best picture settings help please?

(Read 7312 times)

Offline aduanwar

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
TX50AX802B Best picture settings help please?
« on: 25 March 2015, 11:15:57 AM »

I've just purchased Panasonic TX50AX802B but the 58" model and I was wondering if someone can help me set it up for the best results for watching Movies, Sports and off course playing games. By that I mean Which mode it should be in like (cinema, dynamic, THX Cinema etc) and what the setting in those modes be.

Many thanks :)

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: TX50AX802B Best picture settings help please?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2015, 02:42:51 PM »
THX Cinema is usually a good start, as well as Professional modes even without calibration.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline aduanwar

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
That is what I'm currently using but I would like to improve it.

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2015, 09:08:26 AM »
Have you made any changes to these modes, though? If you want accurate display, then you need to set Sharpness to 0 (unless Panasonic have changed something there, 0 will be the correct setting), turn of any "features" like Resolution Remaster, Colour Remaster, Brilliance Enhancer etc. and also to get correct motion you need to disable Intelligent Frame Creation (maybe have it on Min - check the review here ;) ). Turn of Overscan. Check that Colour Gamut is set to Rec.709 (should be by default). Set Colour Temperature to Warm.

To set Brightness (blacklevel, ensures black is as dark as possible, while still preserving shadow detail) and Contrast (light output, to be set at a comfortable level) you should use a test pattern. Download the free AVSHD "disc". Regarding what setting to use for the dimming system, check tye review here - my guess is either Off or Min.

You may also want to set Gamma to 2.4 for viewing in a dark room, but you will need to re-check Brightness and perhaps Contrast afterwards. Also, the Gamma presets available are probably not super accurate (without an actual calibration), but they may get you closer to your desired target without messing with it's linearity too badly.

Last thing is if you have any obvious overall tint to your picture. You can use the White Balance controls in Professional modes to get rid of any obvious overall tint, like if your TV seems to make everything look a bit too green. Only make minor adjustments though. White balance changes without using measuring equipment will surely affect accuracy negatively. If you have a really obvious tint, however, you might be able to make it a lot better just by making a very small adjustment to one of the Red, Green or Blue sliders. If you are going to do so, I suggest getting out a greyscale ramp test pattern, and then muck about with those controls first to see what they do before you make any (minor) adjustments.

Read the review here at HDTVtest...

Anything more than these simple steps, and you will need a professional (or DIY) calibration, using proper equipment. :)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)